Kevin B. Dreher | Barnes & Thornburg LLP
For nearly 20 years, Kevin has represented policyholders in a wide range of insurance coverage disputes, including long-tail environmental, toxic tort and asbestos claims under general liability policies; losses stemming from natural disasters and from COVID-19 under first-party and business interruption insurance; securities and fiduciary duty claims triggering directors and officers (D&O) liability coverage; and losses under ocean cargo marine and storage policies.
Kevin has worked through the intricacies of policies dealing with claims triggering fiduciary liability coverage; losses under cyber and crime and theft policies; claims under rep and warranty coverage; and more.
He has also litigated and negotiated resolution of insurance disputes with virtually all major U.S. insurers and the London and Bermuda markets, and in courts across the U.S. and in international arbitrations.
Further, Kevin represents and advises clients in complex commercial litigation disputes ranging from financial services and banking matters, outsourcing disputes, product liability, environmental and regulatory enforcement actions, class actions, securities and broker-dealer and related enforcement actions, white collar and corporate investigations, and product liability and mass tort defense matters.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2011-2012
Caroline Upton | Barnes & Thornburg LLP
Caroline represents companies, institutions, merchants, manufacturers, and other policyholders across the asset management, banking and financial services, commodities trading, energy and natural resources, gaming, healthcare and medical device manufacturing, and technology industries.
She advises on issues of general liability, directors’ and officers’ (D&O) and errors and omissions (E&O) liability, professional liability, cargo and marine claims, first-party property and business interruption risks, product liability, Bermuda Forms claims, and more. She is also experienced in handling day-to-day discovery, motion practice and other aspects of complex coverage litigation.
Before joining Barnes & Thornburg, Caroline gained skills as an associate and summer associate with a global law firm and as a judicial intern for the Hon. Sara Darrow of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Associate member, Mercy Home for Boys & Girls Board
- Member, Women Employed Advocacy Council
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2020-2022
- University of Illinois College of Law, Rickert Award for Excellence in Service, 2014
Haley A. Hinton | Barnes & Thornburg LLP
Haley represents companies, national sports teams and leagues, manufacturers, and other policyholders in claims related to mergers and acquisitions under representations and warranties policies, liability policies, long-tail environmental and toxic torts claims under general liability policies, and losses arising from COVID-19 and natural disasters under first-party and business interruption insurance. Haley also represents and counsels companies and financial institutions in financial and regulatory compliance and litigation, including disputes involving cryptocurrency transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Haley gained unique knowledge and diverse experience in insurance law and corporate and regulatory compliance, from serving as a legal and legislative intern at the Connecticut Department of Insurance, to receiving J.D. certificates in both insurance law and regulation and corporate and regulatory compliance, and interning for a major insurer.
While in law school, Haley served as a student mediator with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) and worked as a research assistant to the director of the UConn Law Library, where she conducted research regarding disabilities law, social media as a primary legal source, and the use of Lean Six Sigma in the legal field.
Beyond her client work, Haley is a proud dog mom, a self-declared “foodie,” and a Boston sports fanatic.
- Member, American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Group
- Member, American Bar Association Litigation Practice Group, Insurance Coverage Litigation and Securities Litigation Committees
- Member, Connecticut Bar Association, Insurance Law Section
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, Young Professionals Board Member
- Founder and organizer, Rob Carbray Scholarship Fund
- University of Connecticut School of Law Insurance Law Center J.D. Award, 2021
- Dennis Mayer Association of Corporate Counsel Connecticut Legal Studies Scholarship, 2020
- Hartford County Bar Association Scholarship, 2020