Peter McGrath | Moore & VanAllen
Peter provides environmental counsel to clients across a broad spectrum of industries. He advises lenders, real estate developers, property managers, manufacturers, landfill operators, renewable energy developers, lenders and investors, and life sciences companies. He also helps clients comply with environmental law, providing regulatory advice in a wide variety of substantive areas, including solid and hazardous waste, coal ash management, stormwater and wastewater water discharges, air emissions, wetlands, chemical regulation, environmental remediation, and occupational safety and health.
Peter has successfully managed the environmental aspects of hundreds of corporate, financing, and real estate transactions, working in conjunction with other practice areas within the firm. That management includes conducting and coordinating environmental due diligence for target companies and properties, retaining and managing environmental consultants to investigate and quantify known and potential liabilities, counseling clients on environmental liabilities and risk allocation, drafting and negotiating the environmental provisions of transaction documents, assisting in the procurement of environmental insurance and other risk-mitigating solutions, and managing the post-closing resolution of environmental issues. Peter also advises real estate developers through all aspects of North Carolina’s brownfields redevelopment program, from application and assessment, through negotiation of the documents required for the program, to public notice and recording, and post-development tax benefits.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Litigation – Environmental “Lawyer of the Year,” 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2011-2022; Litigation – Environmental, 2011-2022
- Chambers USA – North Carolina, Environmental Law, 2008-2022
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2009-2013, 2018-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer
- Mecklenburg County Air Quality Commission, Member since 2007, Chair since 2015
- J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1986, with honors; Member, North Carolina Law Review
- B.A., Yale University, 1983, cum laude